March 14, 2013

Does the Turbokick Workout actually Work?

Ever wonder if that Turbo Kick workout class at your gym is worth your time? For many weeks, I have been curious about this class that always seems packed and ends with everyone coming out dripping in sweat.

I have read countless articles in the fitness world about how awesome of a workout it is. But it still has to pass 2 tests! I wondered if it would be something I could do and if it actually would pass my “fun test”. A workout is only worth it when it is fun!

Like many people who have a gym membership, I am pretty shy about trying out something new. How are you about trying something new by yourself?

Latest Lesson Side Note: When it comes to working out in a gym, 99% of the other members are more worried about what others are thinking about them and what exercises they are seen doing, that they really are not thinking about what you are doing whatsoever!

Well should I try out this class?
  • What if I am not in good enough shape?
  • What if I can’t do the routines?
  • I have never been very good at dancing or anything choreographed, how would I do with this type of class?
  • What if I can’t do it?
Be truthful, have any of those thoughts crossed your mind?

Well, I decided since I am moving in 3 months anyway, I should try it out before I move and meet more permanent gym mates. If I really made a fool of myself, I wouldn’t have to face these people that much longer. I know I shouldn’t care what others think about what I do or look like working out, but its hard to convince my brain when I actually get to the gym!

Well, I decided it really doesn’t matter and it is all about making sure I get in great workouts to maintain optimum health. So, I tried something new! I went and tested out this growing trend in fitness classes: Turbo Kick!

What is Turbo Kick? 

Turbo Kick is a mix of kickboxing and hip hop dance moves that gets your heart pumping! Although it has been around since 1997, it is growing in popularity today with the latest introduction of other forms of this workout such as Turbo Jam from Chalene Johnson.

The description of the workouts from the product website claims it can burn up to 1,000 calories per hour. I don’t know about that but I do know it is one awesome total body workout that is a great way for you to lose weight and improve your cardiovascular health!

What was the class like?

I was a little nervous walking into the workout class room. However, the instructor quickly made me feel comfortable! I found I was definitely not the only one doing this workout for the first time. The instructor did a great job explaining everything. Maybe I can do this afterall!

The workout itself started out with a warm up that is built around the sport followed by some faster paced interval trainings with simple combinations. The great thing about this workout by this point is I am catching on pretty quickly to the different combinations since they are repeated a bunch of times each adding a little more on to the previous combination. I think I can do this!

At this point I was huffing and puffing and I was only 15 minutes into the class! I kept thinking, how am I going to make it the whole hour?

After this we jumped into 90 seconds of crazy fast paced kickboxing specific endurance and strength training combinations. That was tough! I felt it after that! Again? Okay….Feeling a little more! We went through the whole 90 seconds again! and then again! At this point, I am at the sweatiest and most fatigued I have been in a LONG time! Sure, I am a regular worker-outer but I tend to focus on strength training and little cardio, not beat your body up cardio!

Finally, we do slow it down for more the endurance kickboxing combinations to work more on our punching and kicking form. We ended with lots of stretching, balance, and some pilates type core exercises.

What I learned from doing this class?

Well, I made it through and lived to tell about. I did not make a fool of myself and had such an awesome workout that I am hooked! By participating in a class I was forced to push myself as much as I could to complete the strenuous workout. I was able to keep up with the combinations due to some of the repetitiveness. However, I was not bored with the repetitions and the class went so fast I was surprised how quickly the class ended.

Well, it passed the test. I could do it (not without excessive sweat) and it was so much fun that I am defintely hooked and going again! Oh, and I think every muscle in my body was sore for 3 days afterward even my glutes and abs! That was a great surprise! This definitely is a total body workout!

I definitely recommend this class for you! Even if you are not in great shape, it is always modifiable and everyone starts somewhere. Just get out there and workout!

Here are the 5 Things I learned from this experience that you can take into your workouts:

Stop worrying about what others think and just get out there and do it. Chances are they are more worried about what you are thinking about them.

Look at all the different classes offered and pick a couple that sound interesting and just get in there and join them. There are usually always other newbie’s as well so don’t feel inadequate!

Do a little research online if you are interested in the different workout class options out there to find one that sounds interesting to you. Chances are there is a DVD for it that you could use at home to get your confidence level up before you join the class at the gym.

Meet with a personal trainer or class instructor to find what classes are best for your interest and fitness level. Use your resources that come with the gym membership.

Get moving! Get out there and take action. Stop dreaming about joining in on those classes. Get out there and do it. Most of all have fun!

Well, what do you think of Turbo Kick? Have you done a class? How did you feel about it? Would you do it again? Leave me a comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment